Amoebiasis is an infection that affects the gastrointestinal tract of humans. What causes it and how can it be treated? Is there a way to prevent its onset?

Millions of people from around the world are infected with amoebiasis. This condition is one of the many major health problems faced by several countries, including South East Asia, West Asia, China, Mexico, and Latin America. It is being theorized that a form of amoebiasis, particularly invasive amoebiasis, is the reason behind the deaths of many people worldwide. It is estimated that around 40,000 to 110,000 people from around the world die of amoebiasis every year.

What is Amoebiasis and What are Its Different Types?

Amoebiasis is a common infection caused by a parasite that infects the large intestines of humans. People at any age can be infected with this disease, although it may be more common in young adults and middle-aged individuals. People who have this condition may or may not suffer from noticeable symptoms. Those who experience symptoms may be carrying one of two kinds of this disease: intestinal amoebiasis and extraintestinal amoebiasis. Those with intestinal amoebiasis may likely develop a condition known as invasive amoebiasis. This condition can lead to several discomforts and symptoms that affect the intestines such as diarrhea and amoebic dysentery. Extraintestinal amoebiasis, on the other hand, may affect other parts of the body other than the intestines. It can affect the liver, lungs, skin, spleen, and even the brain. Asymptomatic amoebiasis or amoebiasis that does not show any symptom may not make a person ill. However, it may still be passed from one person to another and may cause illness in another.

What Causes Amoebiasis?

Amoebiasis is caused by the protozoan parasite known as Entamoeba histolytica. E. histolytica cannot live outside the human body. It penetrates into the human gastrointestinal tract and burrows deep into the intestinal walls. It can cause abcesses and ulcers and may infect the bowel. Without treatment, E. histolytica can travel to other parts of the body such as the liver through the veins of the intestines. Other body parts that are reached by this protoa may also become infected and be decked with abcesses and ulcers. The formation of pus in the liver (liver abcess), lungs (lung abcess), and brain (brain abcess), is a sign of advanced stage of amoebiasis. If not treated, it can be highly fatal to a person.

How Can a Person Contract Amoebiasis?

There are a variety of ways by which a person may contract amoebiasis. The most common mode of transmission of E. histolytica is through food and water. People are likely to get this disease if they eat contaminated food, drink contaminated water, and handle contaminated objects.

Treatment for Amoebiasis

Most common forms of treatment for amoebiasis is the administration of antibiotics, such as metronidazole and tinidazole. Usually, antibiotics is given three times a day and may be administered to the patient for at least one week to 10 days. Dosage may vary according to the age of patients. Children are more likely given a lower dosage compared to adults. If antibiotics does not make any improvements on the condition of the patient, other modes of treatment may be used. In the event where amoebic abcess may develop on the liver, spleen, lungs, or brain, doctors may advise an operation on the affected area. The operation is usually meant to drain the abcess. There are some people who may also develop other complications resulting from amoebiasis. A common complication that may arise from this disease include peritonitis. This usually happens when bacteria is spilled into the peritoneum of a person. In this case, doctors may need to perform surgical procedures aside from administering antibiotics to the patient.

How to Prevent Amoebiasis

Amoebiasis is a serious and contagious disease but it can be prevented in a number of ways. One good way to prevent its development is to maintain cleanliness at all times. Proper sanitation can help keep amoebiasis away. Other ways to prevent amoebiasis may also include the following:

• Avoid handling contaminated food and water.
• Avoid eating food that may be contaminated with all sorts of infectious agents.
• Always wash hands after changing the nappies of babies.
• Avoid eating food and drinking water sold on the streets if possible. If this cannot be helped, ensure that the food or water is placed on a sealed container.
• Avoid eating or drinking dairy products that may not have gone through pasteurization process.
• Avoid drinking from water fountains meant for public use.

Carriers of the disease may also have used the same fountain, raising the chances of passing the disease to others.

Preventing the onset of amoebiasis is likely to keep people away from all sorts of inconviences brought about the development of the disease.

Originally posted at my Suite101 account, Types of Amoebiasis: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

Related posts:

1. Types of Sleep Apnea

About Admin

The Writer Mom is a freelance writer and editor. She has provided high quality articles to clients from various countries around the globe. She has also provided proofreading/editing services to students, professors, publishers and businesses. She edits thesis, essays, manuscripts, ebooks, and any type of document for a fair price. Currently, she works as the Project Manager and Head Editor of Edit Write Services.

16 Comments for this entry

• angelico says:

Why this desease keeps on coming back?

• AGE 56 SUFFFRING PILES AT AGE 23 LOOSE MOTION, CONSTIPATION GASTRIC UNCONTRABLE DIHORARA, MUCUS IN STOOL USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINE AMOEBICA SUGGEST ALLOPATHIC OR HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE FOR IMMEDIATED RELIEF OR FOOD TO EAT AS NATURAL PATHY BOIL WATER SHOULD DRINK BE HELFFULL EATING OF SWEETS, RICE, POTATO SHOULD BE STOOPED I AM OVERWEIGHT ALSO WIGHT IS 80 KG HEIGHT 5’3″ PLEASE HELP

• xedricity says:

We are almost on the same boat mate… I got hit with amoebiasis recently, and now getting good. I took metronidazole flagyl as mentioned above, and keeps me better… I am also overweight 70 kgs for a 22 year old boy…

@anyone is this a continues disease? how would I avoid getting hit with this? please help I suffered for almost 1 week with amoebiasis along with high fever…. I don’t want to undergone with that next time..

• kevin njengah says:

am very grateful for the informative theory u have posted. my condition caused by the amoeba was very extreme coz they had even attacked my brain almost to kill me. am under medication now. My question is willthe medication am taking destroy them completely coz i had been medicated for intestinal amoebas earlier & the problem ended?

• Brendak says:

How can one know that she/he has contract the disease?

• jhecka says:

I have a 6 month old daughter suffering from this, she’s been taking metronidazole for almost 3 weeks and it does’nt go away. I’m very worried that my daughter disease could spread in other areas although I know that she’s in on medication I think its not working. Metronidazole does not have any effect don her amoeba? is there any other way? She is not dehydrated and she drinks loys of fluid and her bowel movement is just 2x,3x,4x in a day. pls help?

• xamdi says:

thanks the write of this web
    i am very happy to take adventage about my educational health even if I tell some of the sign and symptoms of this diseas I mean AMOEBAISIS
    .abdominal pain,muscus,blood stool,cramps,vomating,nausea,diarrhoe,and mild fever

• Muhammad Suhail says:

Thanks for the info , am suffering from this ameobic dysentry since almost 2 decades . I am a frequent traveller & seldom finds difficult to maintain clean food habits , except than home foods i get infected with this problem of immediate diorhea .. i dont know if this chronic or acute … if once taken outside foods i immediatly get affected . I normally intake sporolac / eldopar/ norflax 450 , which sometimes control. what’s is permanent solution to this menace ? I hardly find stools thick or hard but mostly watery & sometimes with mucas. pls advice. tnks/ rgds. suhail.

• faith mutanu says:

I also suffer from amoebiasis from time to time. I usually take tinidazole,but it reoccurs after a short duration .need an advise .

• hesbon says:

thanks be to the writter of this website for i’ve taken enough advantage not only healthwise but also educationally since since i have sufferred this and am becoming biologist in proffession soon…..

• aizel says:

my 9month old baby,..also suffered from this disease..his medication last for more than a month…i am worried that this disease may come back to my child..please give me some list of how can i prevent my child from this disease..thank you.Godbless

• p.j.luna says:

I discovered that my son has suffered n a parasitic deseas called amoebiasis.
    I hope that he would b better.
    Plz give me some advice on how it can be prevented.

• marites says:

what may cause of this to my 2 yr old daughter?

• kabeja ezra says:

i have ameobisis problem i take all sorts of medications related to it but it does not work. it has caused me constipation, abdominal pain, loss of weight, lack of petite, body weakness. i take the medications up to finishing it but no improvement at all even for the single day.am seeking your quick advice. thank you very much

• FRANCSCA says:

What is the symptoms of amoeba, doe it cause the stomach to bloat and painfull?

Please answer me.

• nisha says:

i am having amoeba doctor ask me to take metronidazole tablet for 10 days 3 tablet per day but i can not eat it when i eat the tablet its vomiting i need your advice